Saturday, December 16, 2017

Doctrine Shmocktrine

Recently I had a conversation with my pastor. I don't quite remember the origin or it--I think it was rooted somewhere in a discussion around evangelism. He began to tell me the differences in two doctrines: Calvinism and Arminianism.

Essentially, Calvinism purports the idea of predestination and total depravity. The short version of that is that God elects some to be saved and those who are chosen will turn to him because all of us are dead in our sin. Therefore, those who were elected before the beginning of time will be saved unconditionally. Those who are not chosen are UNABLE to turn to him because of sin. There are legitimate scriptures to back this idea up. You can look here for more info: https://www.gotquestions.org/calvinism.html

Arminianism, on the other hand, agrees that we are all lost to sin, BUT God gives everyone just enough grace to turn if they will. In contrast to total depravity, they believe in partial depravity and free will. The idea is that we have the free will to accept or reject Christ and that our salvation can be conditional if we choose him and then later reject him. Go here for more info: https://www.theopedia.com/arminianism

So while both of these ideas have scripture to back up their tenants, they are in direct contradiction to each other. No wonder people struggle with Religion!

Most days, as an assistant principal, my job is to listen to two sides of the same story and come up with the truth because it usually lies somewhere in the middle. I often ask the Lord for wisdom so that I can discern the truth in the midst of all the information I am given. When I heard these two arguments, I asked to Lord to show me the truth because they can't BOTH be right. Even within the two camps, there are those who argue the validity of all the ideas.

As God does, he took me to some scriptures. There about 15 and those reminded me of others. After reading and meditating on them I came to a revelation.

Doctrine is man's way of explaining God, but why do we feel the need to explain him? If we are in a RELATIONSHIP with Christ, then we are supposed to get to KNOW him.



So let's take a moment to look at some scripture that reveals WHO the Lord is, instead of WHAT people are supposed to believe.

Ezekiel 22:30-31 says, ""I looked for someone among them who would build up the wall and stand before me in the gap on behalf of the land so I would not have to destroy it, but I found no one. So I will pour out my wrath on them and consume them with my fiery anger, bringing down on their own heads all they have done, declares the Sovereign LORD.""

This scripture demonstrates that God looks for people to intercede on behalf of others. His heart is not bent toward destruction, instead it is inclined toward salvation, but he longs for someone in the earth to care about his creation as much as he does. There are at least 18 verses in both the old and new testaments in which he tells us to love our neighbor as ourselves, one is Galatians 5:14, "For the whole Law is fulfilled in one word, in the statement, "YOU SHALL LOVE YOUR NEIGHBOR AS YOURSELF."


It also reminds me of 2 Peter 3:9 that says, "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance." In this scripture, it is evident that God wants  EVERYONE to come to repentance. In 2 of the gospels, Luke 15:4-10 and Matthew 18:12-14, we can read that God's heart is for the lost. In Matthew we read, "What do you think? If a man has a hundred sheep and one of them goes astray, will he not leave the ninety-nine on the hills and go out to search for the one that is lost? And if he finds it, truly I tell you, he rejoices more over that one sheep than over the ninety-nine that did not go astray. In the same way, your Father in heaven is not willing that any of these little ones should perish."

There are numerous scriptures about praying for each other, such as James 5: 16 (Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous person is powerful and effective) and even those that tell us to pray for our enemies as in Matthew 5:44 (But I tell you, love your enemies and pray for those who persecute you)!


As I search out the truth among the doctrine, what I find is that God has predestined us to live eternally with him, but we have been separated from him because of sin. Those of us who have entered into a relationship with Jesus are not supposed to just be like, "awesome, we are chosen, so sad for your bad luck." Instead, we are supposed to begin to pray for those around us that need to know him. As we call upon him on the behalf of others, he will answer and begin to draw them to him. Acts 16: 31 says, "They replied, "Believe in the Lord Jesus, and you will be saved--you and your household." 

It's so simple, but really that is the command of the Lord in Matthew 22:36-40, “Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law?” Jesus replied: “‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment.  And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’[ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” I'm not really sure why we try to complicate it and make it more than it really is. 1 John 4: 8 says, "Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love."


While there are tons of other scriptures, I leave this post in an effort to inspire you to get to KNOW the person we claim to be in a relationship with and with whom we plan to spend eternity. I certainly hope that we learn to receive his love so we can share it with others so they too will be drawn to him.




No comments:

Post a Comment